Member interview with Hannah Gilbert

 

Hannah Gilbert profile photograph

Hannah Gilbert is an Information Manager at Dstl with seven years of experience in the sector. Hannah has predominantly worked in Library and Information roles within a UK Defence setting and is passionate about broadening engagement with Knowledge and Information Management at all levels. Hannah has several years of experience of providing copyright guidance and support as well as implementing effective marketing and promotion strategies for library and information services. Hannah is a certified member of CILIP and has recently been recognised as one of the CILIP125.





Could you tell us about your background and how you became involved in the information profession?

I studied English Literature and Creative Writing at university and had always romanticised working in a library. I applied for a role as a Library Assistant at the Defence Academy of the UK and was ecstatic when I got it. I find it amusing to look back now that I realise just what is involved wherever you work in the profession. There is so much that happens in the background and that is what makes a library or information service thrive.

 

Where have you worked and in what sorts of roles?

I started as an entry level Library Assistant at the Defence Academy and worked my way up to becoming Copyright Officer. As Copyright Officer I was responsible for overseeing support and advice on copyright matters across the organisation. However, I continued to be involved in the day-to-day running of the Library and worked as part of the Learning & Teaching Team, co-leading (with Luke Johnstone) the implementation of Information Literacy workshops – which I look back on as a proud achievement. I was also responsible for the marketing and promotion of the Library, which is something I really enjoyed and complimented my creative nature. I left the Defence Academy to join Dstl where I am an Information Manager and able to utilise my copyright knowledge by supporting the organisation with guidance in this area.

What are you mostly excited about in our profession? Are there any challenges or success stories you would like to share with us?

Anything is possible. Many across the profession are routinely in a position where they have to be innovative in order to thriveI think we are really good at sharing our experiences – groups like CILIP, for example, are invaluable when you are looking for inspiration and lessons learnt from others who may have been in the same position as you. Our consistent ability to overcome challenges, and find and share solutions, brings confidence that our profession will succeed in tackling any future challenges.

What advice would you give to someone starting their career as a librarian/information professional?

Take advantage of the connections and networks that are available within the profession. They really do help for a number of reasons as you navigate your role, but above all they make you realise the wide variety of expertise, roles and responsibilities, and opportunities out there. Get stuck in and be brave – do not be afraid to suggest something you think will improve a service or solve a problem.

 

What are your (personal/professional) plans and expectations for the future?

I am on my Chartership journey at the moment and hoping to submit this early next year. I am also trying to focus more on building my leadership skills. Within my current role, I am working on creating a plan/proposal for incorporating workshops on creating Information Management Plans at Dstl, with the aim that this will help to build a positive, and effective, Information Management culture starting with small steps for individual project teams.

 



Comments